The Westchester/Putnam Youth Symphony is an orchestra in New York State founded in 1996. We dedicate ourselves to enriching the musical experience of young musicians in Grades K-12 in the local community. Student musicians from over 20 communities in Westchester, Putnam and outlying counties participate in our performing groups. All eligible students are welcome to join us. We have grown from the original nineteen members to the outstanding organization that it is today. There are two orchestras:
- the Junior Symphony (strings students in Grades 5-8)
- the Senior Symphony (string, woodwind, brass and percussion students in Grades 9-12)
WPYS provides an opportunity for students to meet peers with a similar interest in music. It also provides students with the chance to perform various styles of music at venues throughout our area. We perform works by composers such as Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Sibelius and Tchaikovsky, as well as modern works, selections by American composers and pieces that have been written by our own members.
Performances are held at various concert venues. We serve our community by performing for local Museums, Nursing Homes, Resource Centers, Chapels and Assisted Living Facilities.
WPYS also provides traveling opportunities. Every four years our students are able to participate in our European Concert Tours.
What we’ve done:
- Performed an original composition written expressly for the Senior Symphony featuring violinist Daisy Jopling
- Toured Lincoln Center and performed in the plaza at Lincoln Center
- Hosted violin soloist Dan Auerbach, graduate of the Julliard School, performing Vivaldi’s “Four Seasons”
- Performed at the “Jack Frost Winter Fest” sponsored by Carmel Parks and Recreation.
- Performed at “The Westchester” in White Plains, New York
- Performed at “The John Jay Homestead” in Katonah, New York
- Our quartet groups perform at the Women’s Resource Center’s annual Gala Food and Wine Expo at the Villa Barone in Mahopac
- Performed at “The Union Valley Cemetery Chapel” in Mahopac, New York
- Performed at “The Peekskill Museum Tea” in Peekskill, New York
- Our Senior Symphony has performed in four European Concert tours – July 2015 to Ireland for a Master Class at the Cork School of Music followed by three performances in Kinsale, Tralee, and Dublin;2011 to Germany and the Czech Republic; 2007 to France and Italy; 2002 to Austria, Slovenia, and Italy.